« Back to All Topics
The Problem with Passing
Posted in 
Go
The Problem with Passing
Posted in 
Go
The Problem with Passing
So today, I was up against this person. The person was winning territory-wise, but I had 23 eyes while they only had 17. If they had just continued to play, then they would've filled up their eyes before I did, which would lead to me capturing their territory.

Instead, they kept passing and they said that they won. Everytime I told them to stop doing that and to continue the game, they just kept passing. I was eventually forced to fill in my eyes because they kept passing.

I would like some opinions on this matter.
umm... someone correct me if im wrong on this but a group is unconditionally alive if it has at least 2 eyes.  a player isnt required to play in their own territory and a group is only considered dead if you can kill it without them moving at all, thus the rule that a territory is contested if neither person is able to get it without being capured first.  i think the other guy was right on this one and the way the game accounts for this is by making you play if you claim a group is dead.  if you could kill it you would want to play and the other person might not therefore they arent required to play.
why would u fill your own territory in the first place?! common sense..
just press pass you don't have to fill your own territory
If one's selection marking dead stones gets refused one will have to play a new stone in order to verify that the stones selected are dead indeed.
Indeed, you can be forced to play new stones:
opp: pass
you: pass
opp: marks dead stones
you: accept, mark dead stones
opp: reject
you: must play a new stone
opp: pass ...
You can break this loop either by refusing your opponent's selection (so he will be forced to play a new stone), or, when your opponent does not mark any dead stones (so you can't refuse them), by not marking any dead stones either (the match will be evaluated then).
1._______________
A: PASS
B: PASS
A: SELECT STONE
B: REJECT
A: FORCED TO PLAY ( CANNOT PASS)
A:DOESNT SELECT STONES, PRESS "DONE" IMMEDIATELY
B:CANNOT REJECT. 
   if B select then
   A:REJECT
   B:FORCED TO PLAY ( CANNOT PASS)
   if B done then
   SYSTEM COUNT POINTS

a good way to cheat if u understand the idea of this system
That's called cheating.  

Brrrr and Leonel Yunior do this.  In real life, once both players pass, there is no returning to the game (this is standard go rules and applies in tournaments).  On here, since there is the option to keep playing, since we are far apart from each other and can't talk much via the chat, people cheat by trying to win by forcing you to fill territory.

If this happens, hang in there, and post the person's name on here, so the rest of us know not to waste our time on them.  I have a forum psot called "Brrr and Leonel Yunior, cheating in go"-- you could add cheaters' names to that.