« Back to All Topics
Unfair 
Posted in 
Curling
Unfair 
Posted in 
Curling
Unfair 
Scenario: I am playing today a 2 end match. My opponent scores 3 in the first end. In the second end I have a very high percentage shot at scoring 4 points on my final shot. His stone was in the very middle and I have 3 stones that are the next closest and a clear shot to knock him out. I take the shot but before it strikes the stone my opponent leaves the match. It gives him the victory 3-2. Doesn't make sense to me. 
Its not fair, has been done to me too & simply put they should lose the match.
Hockeywonk , one thing that will help when this happens is that you come on forum and tell who the person is that did it, spread the word on how that person acts.Soon they will change their ways or be playing alone.Also spread the word in Lobby , this has happened to all of us at one time or another and Ive found in the 2+ yrs Ive been here that exposing the person for who and what they are is best way to get even.  
I just had similar experience from player Unsound. I was loosing 2-5 before last end but before last shot I had easy takeout for 4. Then he decided to leave and computer left me with draw.
Maybe moderators should change it to at least 4 points to the player whose opponent left the game?
Perhaps make it impossible to end a match in during the skip stones? Even if the opponent leaves, the game continues until the remaining player throws his last 2 stones. 
First of all there should be a Resign button, so it is possible to give up the match in a good manner. Secondly, if a player leaves the match before time, he should lose the end by 0 - 8. I know it is not completey fair for players who get accidently disconnecteed, but I don't see any other way.
Good point Nikki, I agree on the 0-8 score if you leave an end but I've also been beating a person who is a poor sport and takes forever to play. So in that case, you have to wait it out. 

There's no one great solution for this problem
The request for a resign button has been raised before and it seems like a great idea that shouldn't be difficult to implement,although I understand that what looks easy on the outside can be a nightmare for a programmer. (Note to FoD designers - maybe even a "shaking hands" emoticon would do the trick?)

Ultimately, you are better not to worry too much about points. Over time, the disconnects even themselves out and you stop playing the runners and those who just aren't fun to play against. 

Most of the better players here are pretty honorable...case in point - last night I got disconnected during a match and of course, lost because of it. When I reconnected, my opponent (who shall remain nameless but whose name rhymes with "ulliebhoy"), sport that he is, started and left the match so as to even up the points, despite my assurance that it was not necessary. Then we played our usual enjoyable match to its proper end. The interest for this person, and many others who frequent the tournaments and kibbitz during matches, is not points, but simply enoying good competition in a friendly environment - which is what curling is supposed to be. Yes, there are a number of players out there for whom points are the be-all-end-all and they will employ poor sportsmanship if needed - not because they are poor sports necessarily, but because they treat it like a video game rather than curling. If that's the way they want it, I have no problem with it. The irony is that eventually they won't be able to acquire points because none of the better players will want to play them. 
You've always been a gentleman Craig & are 1 of the nicer guys on FoD. 
Nice post whitecrj. I hope this can help teaching players, that friendship, respect and enjoyable games is much more valuable than points on a computer screen. 
I totally agree - nice post. This is just a game but many ppl forget this while playing...they leave when they see that they lost, they run after one end when they had last stone...no fairplay! I came from connect4 - if you know how to play it's normal that you win when you start...there many ppl start 1st game and run after...I know I can't change this situation with this post, but you can be sure, when you play with me curling or connect4 or any other games on fod I will be fair anyway...gl