« Back to All Topics
A suggestion for the rooms
Posted in 
Billiards
Posted in 
Billiards
How about the rooms are based on rating. When a player achieves a certain rating they can then enter a room based on their rating at the time. So for instance if a room has a rating of above 300 points, someone with a rating of 200 isnt able to enter this room until they achieve 300 or above points. But once you have a certain amount of points you can still enter the lower rating room, as sometimes, there may not be any people in your room.
So instead of having room 1, 2, 3, maybe have room rated 0 - 100, 100 - 200, 200 - 300, 300 and above (as there are fewer players with a higher rating).

The reason for this suggestion is because there are many times where you can never seem to find a person with a similar rating to youself especially the higher rated players. Surely it would be better if all the similar rated players are in the same room together.

What do you think?

Hmmm, that's a good idea.

But lemme suggest a variation. Instead of replacing the current rooms, just add new rooms based on ratings, so that peeps can still have the option of playing with anyone they wish. 

I think Flyordie's priority is to make this site as community friendly as possible and so, if the original rooms where changed to rating based rooms, then that would prevent some friends from playing with each other because sometimes their ratings are too different. 

Your idea is good but as long as the old rooms are still open for everyone to play. Community first, competition second (I think that's the standard of Flyordie, in my humble opinion).

More rooms = more server problems
Hmmm, that's a good point too. 
This is a terrible suggestion what if two people are friends and one has 300 and the other has 60 so they can not play each other also as Caption said more lagging. 

Why does more rooms = more server problems? Surely it is the number of people connected to the server which will effect it's efficiency? A room and the list of players is probably just a tag on a player connected to the server, and it's hardly resource-consumming to sort these out into visible rooms.
i think this is not possible because the player with a low rait comes in the rooms with best player and not enter in the low rooms
sorry im french my english is bad
jordan57
why is the friends wantin to play each other a problem here...just keep the unrated rooms and they can go play there...im actually agreeing with this idea...unless...ur playing someone and drop below that rating after a 1-0....wen its bo3...would u get kicked out of the room?

This suggestion doesn't make sense. It is just restricting the amount of players a person can play.

And if someone with 300 points can enter lower rated rooms, then it defies the whole point of the system!

If someone then suggested that people could not enter lower rated rooms, then high rated people would just create new nicknames so they could!

It's nice to see people trying to think of new ideas, but I'm sorry it wont work.

[img=
http://img81.exs.cx/img81/2803/jamez.jpg
]
Its just an idea, where i already thought about people playing friends by letting high rated players into the low rated rooms. But as respect the champ said they could always go to the unrated rooms and play there.
I only suggested this idea but obviously alterations can be made.

In answer to respect the champs question i would imagine that you would have to complete a session with a player before any kicking out of rooms is to be done. So someone could drop below the cut off point but still gain it back by playing a second game with the same person without getting kicked out.

Jamez you said its "restricting the amount of players a person can play". Surely as it stands now you are more restricted, as normally people try and play opponents with a similar rating to their own. So i find with a rating above 400, theres not many people in one room you can play that has a similar rating. This is because everyone is spread in every room. So my idea is to try and focus all players with the similar rating in one room. This will hopefully make it easier to find games to your ability in the future

Please post any further improvements or comments to this idea if anyone can think of any.
If you subscribe you can enter any room. FoD should maintain extra benefits for those who pay to support the site.
ED - But if, like you said, high rated people will be able to enter the lower rated rooms, then it is likely the high rated people will go in those rooms as opposed to waiting in "their" rated room for a player of a similar rating to come along.

This, of course, then doesn't solve the problem of having to find people of similar ratings to your own!

And, as Beppe said, FlyOrDie should maintain extra benefits for those who pay to support the site. Paying gamers shouldn't be restricted by the amount of rooms they can enter based on their rating.

[img=
http://img81.exs.cx/img81/2803/jamez.jpg
]
Actually, there was once a separate room for newbies which was restricted to players below a certain rating. It was subsequently removed though, most likey because although the idea was a nice one, it turned out not to be practical.