« Back to All Topics
How to Increase # of Players
Posted in 
Curling
Posted in 
Curling
Ever since I've been introduced to this online curling game (which has been about 4-5 years now) I have remained quite a consistent/active player all the time.

Unfortunately, it seems that the # of players online has steadily decreased.  I'm aware at this moment of time it's curling off-season - but I could remember a few years ago during 'peak season' there would be 4-5 full rooms.  During this past season I don't think I ever saw 2 rooms full.

What can we do as players to promote this game to others??  Even individuals who curl in 'real life' really like this game.

I just want to see an increase in players - and especially in a country like Canada - curling is a growing sport.  A lot of younger teams and a lot of transition, and very high tv ratings were brought in during the men's championsips.

So please bring ideas - how can we promote on instagram/twitter/facebook??

This game isn't like real curling though and playing a sport is different than watching it and different from playing a computer game.
That's not the point of my posting though.

My point is increasing # of players on this website.
Hey Frgn Exch, I saw you give all your points (150+ down to zero)away the other night by agreeing to games then running. You were even advertising "free points" in the chat board. Perhaps it is frustrating examples of poor sportsmanship such as yours that are driving player numbers down. Just a thought.....
 ForeignExchange

That's not the point of my posting though.

My point is increasing # of players on this website.

I understand the point of your message. You state that you want to bring real life curlers here. Well, this is an internet game, much different than actually playing. Many people don't watch sports but will play them and vise versa. Watching is a lot different than playing and a computer game is much different than either.  I just think it's a tough sell, that's all.
Everyone is still missing the point to my posting.

I'm not saying lets specifically recruit 'real life curlers' to 'online curling...

I'm saying I want to see more players on this website - regardless if they curl in real life or not.

The reason I'm using the 'real life curling' example - is because I know there are a lot of players on this site who do curl in real life AND really enjoy playing this online version as well.

With that being said.....

I do not curl in real life - but I was recruited by a friend to this website.  And I love online curling.

Yes - the other night I was point dumping....however I do not believe this is 'poor sportsmanship'.  There are lots of 'point hawks' out there and they took full advantage of my offer.

I think what would be a great idea - is if the website created some sort of weekly/monthly cumulative point system and an annual point system for subscribers.

I would like to see a point system based on 'strength of opponent'.

honestly fe  the biggest reason why people have stopped playing this online curling game is simply because of people like you  period.....  you wandering around from room to room pissing people off has alot to do with it!!!!!!  give your head a shake  and if you want to keep this site going....PAY FOR IT!!!!!
I have played curling here for around 7 years. I have never seen 4 full rooms, but I agree there are fewer players around now. 
One way to increase number of players is to avoid they are leaving. I took a break once, mainly because of non polite players horassing others, and many players not following simple rules of sportsmanship. Also many players are very selective about who they play, like only want to play much weaker players to be sure to win. This can often make it difficult to find somebody who wants to play.
So be polite and be happy also when the opponent wins.
Enjoy ! regards to all, Nikki100
2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, with curling on television around the world, gave a boom of people who tried this game and 3-4 rooms were filled every day for at least a month.
Nope Peffs its players like you that make players leave when you piss them off.
A player like peffs/spooner has a very odd sense of humor.  If you don't understand it - you feel like he's just harrassing you and annoying you and doesn't make the game fun at all.

I've worked with individuals who have disabilities, so that experience has given me the patience and understanding of how to tolerate peffs/spooner.