« Back to All Topics
No Rail
No Rail
No Rail
I do not understand the 'no rail' rule in the billiard games, i have asked many others and neither of them can explain. The rule seems to be very inconsistent. sometimes i can play the white into the rail contacting the object ball after and not sending it into the rail and this is allowed, other times its a foul. could this rule please be explained?
Maybe at least a certain number of balls other than the cue ball need to touch the rail
Okay let's go through the scenarios, I'm pretty sure these are correct:

1. White ball hits rail before any other ball. It then hits a contact ball and neither ball hits the rail = FOUL

2. White ball hits the rail before any other ball. It then hits a contact ball. If the white or the ball contacted hits the rail after that = LEGAL SHOT

3. White doesn't make contact with the rail but hits another ball that does. LEGAL SHOT

4. White hits a ball which doesn't hit the rail. White bounces off this ball and hits the rail afer hitting the original ball = LEGAL SHOT

In basic terms at least 1 ball has to hit the rail 
after
 contact has been made between the white ball and the ball that was initially contacted. It's obvious but I guess it needs saying that this doesn't apply to snooker at all. It also doesn't apply to the 9/8 ball break shot where a certain number of balls have to hit the rail in total (4 I think :).)

The rule seems consistent to me, I've never had any problems with it. I've never seen what you explained (white ball hits rail - hits another ball - neither hits the rail - shot is allowed) so can only assume you didn't understand what happened fully.
im not wrong coz i play professional pool in real life
the FOD rules are wrong and i mean quite badly wrong

examples after potting the white ball...

FOD version
if the white ball goes in obviously its a foul and you can move the ball ANYWHERE ON THE TABLE 

Real life version (what iv played)
after the white ball goes down you can only play the white ball behind the balk line 

for me those are the correct rules
and FOD,S rules are completely out of date
Im one of the best youthplayers in Germany.
Better one of the 16 best youth players.
If we pot white its a foul & we can move all over the table.

And you have to touch a rail after you have touched any ball.

Tommy
in the UK its 2 shots after a foul and white can be moved behind the line or leave as it is, i dont mind the FOD rule on that but please get rid of the stupid no rail rule apart from on the break.
pool is as tactical as snooker and how can we play safe if you have to hit a rail
There are two scenarios when No rail is applicable. When starting the game 4 coloured balls (except white) must hit the rail, otherwise it is a faul.
During the game - after the shot one ball must hit the rail, white also counts - otherwise it is a faul.
This rule in this virtual game fits to the European real game rules..