« Back to All Topics
Installing? 
Posted in 
Technical
Installing? 
Posted in 
Technical
Installing? 
When I wanted to open a game (Curling, Snooker)today a window popped up and asked me to install something. I do not want to install anything I don't know. Further information isn't given. May be someone here can tell me what it is all about and why I should need this. 
Hi ,

The only thing you need in order to play Flyordie games is Java.

We use to need Adobe Shockwave Or Flash , one of the two but not anymore as im aware of everything is java based now.

So unless its a java installation popup i wouldn't install it.

Well, it IS a java popup and just that is my problem. I'm not going to install any java application that I don't know anything about because java can do so many bad things. 
All the games worked fine without any download. So I can't see a reason for it. I'm not going to take the risk of opening a backdoor to my PC. 
I really like your games and I play here daily. But if I need to download a potentially risky java application I'm out of here.
The popup is valid, not a virus or something similar. The latest Java updates, especially the last one, require some changes in the way we deploy the games. We will publish more detailed information here in the forum and on a help page soon.
That is all right. So I'll wait for further information.

May I suggest you announce changes and provide information before you make changes? That might keep players from being surprised and/or annoyed. 
These changes were needed due to reasons beyond our control. Our applets are now digitally signed that offers more protection in case of trusted sources.

The install dialog looks like  this (icons and game names will differ for different games): 

[img=
http://www.flyordie.com/games/help/support/images/java.png
]

The publisher is "Solware IT Ltd", the "from" field is something like "
http://www.flyordie.com/...
" and the name of the game at the end.

You will need to allow this install if you wish to continue using our games.
I will pass. not giving access to my computer
I'M WITH YOU. I will pass on installing
Thank you for the information. This is the pop-up I receive. There is a button "more information" on the lower right of the pop-up, that doesn't work... 

However, I still have doubts. I'm not a computer geek, so I might be wrong, but as far as I know there are other ways to get an "approved" java applet or digital signature. 

Is it necessary to download this for each game I play or is it enough to download it once (e.g. for snooker) and it will be valid for the other games (e.g. curling) too?
I agree with barhocker.
The explanations of Flyordie in this topic are very "light" and don't convince me !
I won't install this software whose utility isn't demonstrated and whose effects in the computer aren't clearly known...
I wait more informations !!
"Installing" is Java's euphemism for putting files into the Java cache.

If you click on "Install" two things will happen:

- You accept Solware's (=FlyOrDie's owner) digital signature, so software (=game) digitally signed using this certificate will be enabled to run.

- Software (=game) files will be put into the Java cache so you won't have to download all files again each time you start the game.
You can control both of this on the Java Control Panel: you can delete the cache ("uninstall") and remove certificates.

The software that is digitally signed is the actual game (on the dialog above, it's Backgammon). If you accept the certificate, the game will run. If you don't it won't.

A "signed" applet will have more access to your system, than an unsigned one. However, if you download or purchase any other software, it will have the same or more rights in your system. It is up to you to decide which software you install. You either trust the author, or not. Hopefully if someone is a member since 2006, he trusts us enough to "install" the game.

Since the same certificate is used for all games, you have to do this once. All games will run afterwards.

Re: more info button: it's supposed to work. it's a java plugin bug if it doesn't. 
Chess on flyordie has been running for years without the need to install software.  I don’t the need for a change. Pretty sure the chess rules haven’t changed. Please can you change it back so we can play chess without installing the software? Thanks. Adam.
Well, now you gave some useful information. Thank you! :)

I didn't have problems to download the needed files each time I played. The download is much faster than waiting for the ads to disappear. 

A (valid) certificate is something to achive. Still I'm not sure if you chose the right way. However, you're right in assuming me trusting you enough to accept this. (As any addict will.) 

I strongly recommend to provide such information BEFORE you make changes. You changed things before over the years and cauesed some irritation by not giving information beforehand. Secondly you should announce the changes somewhere people can notice it. The forum isn't considered to be the preferred place for such announcement, since only a few members/players pass by regularly. The forum is mostly used for complaints (like mine, although I did compliment you as well before).