« Back to All Topics
BROKEN SERVER CONNECTION
Posted in 
Technical
BROKEN SERVER CONNECTION
Posted in 
Technical
BROKEN SERVER CONNECTION
I too like many many other people on this site suffer with constant broken connections. There is a lot of nonsense spoken on here about ISPs and data bandwidth or other PC related misguidance, the reality is that this is a FOD issue, which unfortunately FOD seem to largely ignore. My broadband connection is huge and everything I access it is fantastic except for this site! I am a network techie and I can assure anyone reading this that my 'broken server connection' is not a network, pc or local sytem error. It is a FOD server or network issue (on their side), full stop!! 
FOD should fix it before a competitor comes along who does have a correctly working system. Luckily for FOD at the moment worthy competition is limited. Its sad.
Ty the new java 

it's not FlyOrDie   

SKY-22

Have fun smile more 
Just to be clear this is not a JAVA issue this is a FOD issue. Please FOD fix it !!
It aint FOD, otherwise id be dcing 24/7 and i havent had a D.C for months.
It is true Java is one of everyones most troubling applications,  however the type of problem I suspect FOD have does not cause all members to have broken server connection issues. But unfortunately it will cause many to have this issue which sadly I am one! I too have had long periods of no issues but these are inbetween periods of constant broken server connectoins.
Its an FOD config bug plain and simple, but I appreciate it may be difficult and probably not cost effective to fix. I have no other problems with JAVA or any other games and yes I am running the latest version.
:-( 
These errors are caused by specific versions of java, if it happens when you update to the "Latest" version, try uninstalling it and using an older version.

I find this to be the easiest solution but it doesn't always work.
hopefully with flyordies plans to move to HTML 5 we won't need java anymore and the problems will be fixed.

a few players on flyordie have network skills or decent computer skills but they are not employed by flyoride and have no way to fix site issues.
Thank you FOD for fixing your constant broken connection issue with your server what ever you did worked. FOD now works as well as other similar games sites. Its been working for a week now so hopefully it will last. Whoopee
OOOPS looks like I spoke too soon, FOD have not fixed their "broken connection to server" issue. I suspect this is a volume and/or user sharing issue which might explain its randomness, but it could be a few things. But again to be 100% clear it is not I repeat not an issue on the users side. Its not a users java issue , its not a users network or users browser issue or anything else user side. This is without doubt an FOD issue. Also interestingly for note more and more people are being affected?  Please FOD look more closely at this
Still loosing server connection for so very many people and sadly that still includes me.
My membership is up in September I think the lack of effort to even talk to me about their systems weakness let alone resolve their issue (read my previous statments which confirms its a FOD issue) is really disappointing. Sadly I think I will have to follow others and relinquish my paid membership :-( Oh dear.
http://html5test.com/.
  This may help 

Keep safe smile more :)  

Come and find me in checkers and I help u more if u like 

SKY-22
Hey SKY dear,

Been looking for you. Emailed u 2.

Please help me once again to add a Big enough profile picture on my newly registered nick name, Lady-In-Red.

What I load loaded is much to small.
You did a gr8 job helping me with the Contessa pix.
Hope u see this soon.
Even went to Checkers looking for you my friend :))))*

Great blessings dear heart,

Judith aka Contessa xpx
Ok

I will look for you 

Keep safe smile more :)

SKY-22
Agree with your post.

I get tired of losing matched bc of this issue. Many times I was still online when the message came up; yet I was told I had to reconnect or I was dropped and a loss was awarded to overall record.

I bet I have 80-100 losses due to this issue. I enjoy the game; FOD needs to address this
Go get new internet, FOD isn't the problem.
So FTW Warrior you are saying MS IE9 with the latest Java is not compatible with FOD ?? Do they know this?
I don't think this is the issue, you should read my other comments.
Hi  Grandadfun and FOD Team,

I actually support FOD a lot. Put my $ where my mouth is although money is tight. :-p  Not only to get all the extra' s of being a subscriber such as Tournament participation. I found a second othello vacation home and feel you deserve the support. I feel it's a way to show my gratitude for this dynamite site. However, I would think the more paid members you have the more motivated you'd be to make this an even better site without so very many disconnections. Hoping so.

As far as what you said bout competing with another site Grandadfun, there is a gaming site which has always made all other one's pales next to it...Vinco Online Gamesite affectionately known as VOG, since 1997-sh is the most sophisticated site on the planet. It has a Friends List and messaging system with costum colors, fonts etc. Games that can be set for any amount of time you want. Archives, BOT Machine's, Reversed Othello, 10x10 reversi, Private and non-private tables, Icon figures  sitting at tables of your choosing and much more. Alexander aka shura from Russia made it perfect. 
Not concerned here people will leave FOD & go to VOG. Many people cannot use it with their computers. 
 At VOG Othello, chess and WordEx are free. One pay's for backgammon and such if needed.
They're boards can be made as large as you want and they look like 3-D. 

I doubt we will all flock to it again. VOG Reversi had it's hay day from 1998-2003. It was  where I first played othello online...as with FOD many of  us were a family. Oh...they had frequent tournaments too. WithAnd, a big thanks to FlyOrDie for giving Othello two monthly tournaments  instead of one : ))* 
I mention all this in detail partially to remind and/or turn on you guys and The FOD team to these things. Hopefully, one day there may be a day where we have many of them. Who knows? *Shrug* Maybe with more paid subscriber's things like those can be made possible. Don't know. 

The downside might be that unlike VOG we would not be able to have as many players as we'd wish to. I think now, we're limited to what?...160-180 players there at once. What a drag it used to be to play othello on game sites that I couldn't get into lot's of times.
To be fair, occasionally VOG could be Buggy too. They had to work on it as it happened.

Anyway, that's more than my 2 cents!~* lol

Be well, safe and happy.

Warm wishes,

Tessa *

PS Posting this again. Didn't see the original. If it was duplicated please delete one. Thanks in advance.
Since when does an internet provider have anything to do with IE9?

Thank you Pretty boy Floyd and Contessa for your support and good insight into some of the FOD and VOG history.  I too have a fondness for FOD despite my upset tone, leaving isnt a good option.
Apologies FTW I hastily read your comment and misread it, I thought you were commenting on my internet browser not my provider. 
The browser is the common assumption with this type of issue and it can indeed be the cause with many similar problems. But this problem persists for too many people on too many platforms and equally importantly this type of issue is not ocurring with other game providers, nonFOD similar games and apps work perfectly well. The evidence pointing the issue as being an FOD problem is resounding.
The Internet provider suggestion is not feasible since as I say far too many people in far too many areas & countries are having the same problem. I have had this problem with different internet service provider. I just want this issue to be fixed or at the very least investigated. I would suggest to start FOD should monitor the frequency and volume of issues, the stats from this I suspect would be quite revealing.Then common factors should be used to support a request to users to provide local platform environment data.The resultant information would inform FOD's next step which I suspect will be as I have inferred in my previous posts an FOD tweak or two. Though it might not be a cheap fix so. But who knows my suspicions could be misaligned and believe it or not I would be far happier if it could be proved to be something that the users can fix since that could be quicker. But no more can be said on this until FOD motivate themselves to begin looking at this multi user problem.  Heres Hoping. 
You are welcome grandadfun,

Thanks ever so much for your input and compassion too.

*Crossing fingers*

Tessa~*